Austin Car Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one was in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, you may be looking for answers.
- Will the settlement my insurance company is offering be enough to cover all my medical expenses and lost wages?
- If I don’t accept a settlement right away, will the offer be revoked?
- Should I hire a personal injury lawyer to settle my case, how much will it cost, and how do I choose one?
Getting a case evaluation as soon as possible is the best way to move forward after a car accident case. Along with seeking medical attention, retaining a lawyer for representation is one of the best things you can do to secure a full recovery.
Answers to Your Car Accident Case Questions from McMinn Attorneys
Understanding Auto Accidents and Tort Law
- What is personal injury law? Personal injury law is an area of law that provides compensation for victims of physical injury or emotional distress. In personal injury law, the harm is caused to the victim by another’s negligence.In one word, negligence can be described as carelessness. Proving negligence is an important part of tort law. If you are interested in learning more, visit our resource on negligence, gross negligence, and tort law.
- How much is my car accident case worth?
The amount of an auto accident case depends on many factors. Those can include the severity of the injuries, the degree of negligence by the other party, and damage caps in Texas. A severe injury including permanent disability or whiplash that leaves a person needing spinal surgery has a larger case value than an accident with minor injuries.No two cases are the same. The best way to find out more about the value of your car accident case is to reach out to local legal counsel in Austin.
Moving Forward After a Vehicle Collision
- How do I find the best auto accident lawyers? How do you know if you can really trust the attorney you’ve contacted for a consultation? Looking at client reviews and checking for disciplinary actions from the state board are two ways you can begin your search. We have more suggestions here on how you can find the best car accident lawyers for your case.
- What are common car accident injuries and where should I treat them? No car accident or injury is the same, but whiplash, brain, and spine injury are all common injuries after a vehicle collision. You may choose to visit your family practice doctor first who may refer you to a specialist. You may choose to ask your personal injury attorney if they know of a doctor other clients have used.
I was in a car accident, now what?
Reading this post will help you understand what to do after a car accident. Accidents happen, even to careful drivers. Unfortunately defensive driving sometimes isn’t enough.
Remember: keep calm. Take a big breath and move through these tips to prepare yourself to handle the stressful aftermath of a crash.
Assess the impact of the crash
After a car accident, seek medical attention immediately and enlist help to take care of business. Call 911 or 311 for emergency assistance.
Automobile Accident Reports
Without an official police report of the car accident, the other party may attempt to deny fault. Read a first-hand experience of a McMinn Law Firm team member’s decision to call the police for a report. In her story, even in a minor crash it is best to call 311 for help.
Document the crash
Any documentation will help in a claims process and settling your case.
In Texas, the key information to share includes:
- Name, address and contact details
- Driver license number
- License plate number of the vehicles involved
- Auto insurance information for the motorists involved
Although the driver is not legally required to show you their driver’s license, they may be able to dispute involvement in the car accident later on. If you encounter a motorist who refuses to provide any of this information, you may want to call the police or take a photo of the individual.
Read over McMinn Law Firm’s checklist on documenting your case the smart way. Be prepared so you don’t panic when a crash happens.
See if your car insurance company offers a smartphone app to help document cases. Otherwise you may check out WreckCheck, a free app by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, where you can document your case.
Causes of Car Accidents in Austin and Statistics
Facts about Texas car crashes:
- 499 fatal car crashes were caused by drivers who were under the influence of alcohol.
- Speeding caused 250 fatal crashes and 511 possible injury crashes.
- Distracted driving caused 4,935 crashes in Travis county in 2015.
- 42 lives were claimed because of DUI caused car accidents in Travis County (2015).
McMinn Law Firm: Your Local Car Accident Lawyers
Jason McMinn and Justin McMinn are trusted, award winning car crash lawyers in Austin, Texas. As principle attorneys at McMinn Law Firm, Jason and Justin have successfully settled a wide range of auto crash cases. See some examples of case settlements here.
If you have a case that doesn’t match any of the descriptions on this page, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We are happy to help you with a free case consultation.
The Mcminn Law Firm has been handling my case since May 2014. I was hit by a driver who ran a red light and injured my back pretty badly. Today we settled with a notoriously horrible insurance company and Jason Mcminn got me the settlement I deserved after all of this headache. Their staff is incredibly thorough and they are committed to their clients. I would recommend them to anyone for personal injury! Best Lawfirm in Austin!
– Selenia | Reviewed McMinn Law Firm in 2015
See what clients are saying about the McMinn Law Firm car accident attorneys on our reviews page.