If you or a loved one is dealing with the implications of an injury after a truck or car accident, assault, dog bite, or other serious incident, you may have decided you’d like to talk to a lawyer. But how do you find a lawyer that will be able to help you secure compensation for your injuries?
Maybe you’ve never had to find a lawyer before. Maybe you have worked with a lawyer before but not on a personal injury matter.
Many people find themselves in situations where their usual lawyer doesn’t suffice, because they haven’t focused on personal injury cases. Area of focus, experience, and where your attorney is located are all things to consider when hiring a personal injury attorney.
Hiring a great lawyer will save you time, money and stress. Signing on with a not-so-great lawyer may have you worrying about your case, bills, and future. Read this advice on how to evaluate an attorney before signing on.
Starting Your Search for a Personal Injury Lawyer
When it comes to finding a lawyer suited to your needs, there are a couple ways to begin your search. If you don’t know anyone that can give you a personal recommendation, there are websites that provide information about lawyers with experience across a variety of practice areas.
Tips for finding your perfect lawyer
- Read Online Reviews: Checking out Google reviews and reviews on other websites is the quickest way to get a sense of which accident / injury lawyers in Austin might be a good fit with your case. Lawyers are under such scrutiny there are many sites that vet attorneys, or where clients can place anonymous reviews. Check to see if the attorney you are interested in hiring has been listed on any top lawyer specific review sites. Skip to more info on lawyer review sites.
- Ask Around: Chances are a friend or coworker has needed to hire a lawyer before. They can probably give you great advice and at least let you know if they’ve had pleasant or unpleasant experiences with certain law firms and lawyers. This will help you weed out the good from the bad.
- Ask a Lawyer: Maybe you know a divorce lawyer, and now you need a personal injury lawyer. Lawyers tend to know other lawyers, and could definitely help you find someone that could help you with your specific needs. They probably know of cases similar to yours, and can recommend someone for you.
- Legal Referral Websites: Websites such as Avvo and Justia are great sources for finding the perfect lawyer for you located in your area. They are easy to navigate, and give you access to a lot of helpful information.
- Meet with a Lawyer: Most lawyers offer a free consultation and many sites have people ready to chat live with you about your issue or questions you may have. It helps to talk to a couple people and see who is a good fit to handle your case.
Although Google reviews are easy to navigate, other online law reviews are written a little differently. You can find McMinn Law Firm on many website listing sites, such as a local advertising network. Here are our ratings on other popular law sites, and a little information on understanding these ratings.
How Lawyer Ratings Work on Avvo
This site shows two ratings for lawyers, client ratings and the Avvo rating.
- Client ratings are a self-explanatory, client based review and are shown through a rating of stars between 0 and 5. Client ratings also show reviews and testimonials, so you can read why these clients gave the ratings that they did.
- Avvo has a formulaic rating system specific to the website. Initially it can seem ambiguous, how did a website form a rating of its own? Their analysis is based on public data available about the lawyer in question and how complete the lawyers profile is on Avvo.
The Avvo Rating is our effort to evaluate a lawyer’s background based on the information available in an attorney’s Avvo profile. We create the rating using a model that considers information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to information we collect from public sources like state bar associations and lawyer websites.
How Did McMinn Law Firm Stack Up on Avvo?
Justia: A Lawyer Research Website
Justia is a legal resource page for many different areas of law practice. The company provides users with free case law, codes, regulations, legal articles and legal blog databases, as well as additional community resources. It does not offer client generated ratings like Avvo does, but it does grade lawyers with badges specific to Justia’s criteria. Under a lawyer’s profile, Justia assigns badges to help clients find a lawyer.
Q&A: How much will my case cost?
Q&A: Do I really need a lawyer? Can't I just represent myself?
Why Choose McMinn Law Firm
McMinn Law Firm represents clients in personal injury and accident in Austin and Central Texas. They have represented numerous different types of cases that involve the following:
- Brain Injury
- Dog Bites
- Wrongful Deaths
- Boat Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
McMinn is an award winning law firm that has been given awards from the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 and SuperLawyers.
Top 10 Personal Injury Law Firm
McMinn Law Firm is pleased to announce recognition of the highest degree of excellence by Attorney and Practice Magazine. Attorney and Practice Magazine Selected McMinn Law Firm as a Top 10 Law Firm in 2021.
"This award is an achievement reserved for only those lawyers who have demonstrated the highest degree of excellence in his or her area of law. Because of our stringent standards, less than 1% of lawyers nationwide will receive this invitation for membership."
Read more about this award at www.attorneyandpractice.com and in their quarterly magazine.
Google Screened is a voluntary program by Google that businesses in some fields can participate in. Some personal injury lawyers can qualify as Google Screened attorneys. They must pass a Google screening and qualification process. Personal injury law firms must undergo the following tests to be included in Google Screened: Background checks including business check and owner check; malpractice insurance required (where required by law); and state bar license checks for each personal injury lawyer in the firm. For the purposes of the Google Screened program, Google defines a personal injury lawyer as an attorney who provides professional advice and guidance on matters including: assualt and batter, auto, bicycle, and motorcycle accidents, dog bites, injury from DUI, product liability, and death.
Over a rigorous multiphase selection process, Super Lawyers selects only the top attorneys in the U.S. The selection process includes peer nominations and independent research to evaluate professional achievement among attorneys. Super Lawyers maintains independent research of all candidates in their search. Their objective is to "create a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of outstanding attorneys that can be used as a resource for attorneys and consumers searching for legal counsel."
Client satisfaction is a top indicator of a lawyer’s abilities. In most cases, reviews online are an indicator of a professional’s ability to meet the needs of their clients.
Jason McMinn and Justin McMinn are caring, relentless, and comprehensive lawyers experienced in personal injury and accident law. The McMinn brothers would be happy to look at your case for no cost, and will be sure to make you feel right at home. Call 512-474-0222, use the live chat on our website, fill out the form on this page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The accident was traumatic, but without the folks at the McMinn law firm, we would have been out over five figures of expenses that the hospRead more...
The mcminn law firm got me the help I needed since day oneRead more...
I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.Read more...
I was impressed by their swift, efficient, transparent work on my behalfRead more...
I received a visit to my house for personal consultation (on a Saturday).Read more...
They took care of her, and they got us back on our feet following what could have been a very traumatic event.Read more...
Don't hesitate to contact these folks because they do care about you and your rights.Read more...
Great to work with.Read more...
If you were injured with a mound of medical bills and have no idea where to start, you need to give these guys a call, seriously, just do itRead more...
This are the lawyers that anyone can trust they always done a great job.Read more...