If you or a loved one is dealing with the implications of an injury after a truck or car accident, assault, dog bite, or other serious incident, you may have decided you’d like to talk to a lawyer. But how do you find a lawyer that will be able to help you secure compensation for your injuries?
Maybe you’ve never had to find a lawyer before. Maybe you have worked with a lawyer before but not on a personal injury matter.
Many people find themselves in situations where their usual lawyer doesn’t suffice, because they haven’t focused on personal injury cases. Area of focus, experience, and where your attorney is located are all things to consider when hiring a personal injury attorney.
Starting Your Search for a Personal Injury Lawyer
When it comes to finding a lawyer suited to your needs, there are a couple ways to begin your search. If you don’t know anyone that can give you a personal recommendation, there are websites that provide information about lawyers with experience across a variety of practice areas.
Tips for finding your perfect lawyer
- Read Online Reviews: Checking out Google reviews and reviews on other websites is the quickest way to get a sense of which accident / injury lawyers in Austin might be a good fit with your case. Lawyers are under such scrutiny there are many sites that vet attorneys, or where clients can place anonymous reviews. Check to see if the attorney you are interested in hiring has been listed on any top lawyer specific review sites. Skip to more info on lawyer review sites.
- Ask Around: Chances are a friend or coworker has needed to hire a lawyer before. They can probably give you great advice and at least let you know if they’ve had pleasant or unpleasant experiences with certain law firms and lawyers. This will help you weed out the good from the bad.
- Ask a Lawyer: Maybe you know a divorce lawyer, and now you need a personal injury lawyer. Lawyers tend to know other lawyers, and could definitely help you find someone that could help you with your specific needs. They probably know of cases similar to yours, and can recommend someone for you.
- Legal Referral Websites: Websites such as Avvo and Justia are great sources for finding the perfect lawyer for you located in your area. They are easy to navigate, and give you access to a lot of helpful information.
- Meet with a Lawyer: Most lawyers offer a free consultation and many sites have people ready to chat live with you about your issue or questions you may have. It helps to talk to a couple people and see who is a good fit to handle your case.
Understanding Online Ratings
Although Google reviews are easy to navigate, other online law reviews are written a little differently. You can find McMinn Law Firm on many website listing sites, such as a local advertising network. Here are our ratings on other popular law sites, and a little information on understanding these ratings.
How Lawyer Ratings Work on Avvo
This site shows two ratings for lawyers, client ratings and the Avvo rating.
- Client ratings are a self-explanatory, client based review and are shown through a rating of stars between 0 and 5. Client ratings also show reviews and testimonials, so you can read why these clients gave the ratings that they did.
- Avvo has a formulaic rating system specific to the website. Initially it can seem ambiguous, how did a website form a rating of its own? Their analysis is based on public data available about the lawyer in question and how complete the lawyers profile is on Avvo.