Hiring a great lawyer will save you time, money and stress. Signing on with a not-so-great lawyer may have you worrying about your case, bills, and future. Read this advice on how to evaluate an attorney before signing on.
If you or a loved one is dealing with the implications of an injury after a truck or car accident, assault, dog bite, or other serious incident, you may have decided you’d like to talk to a lawyer.
First and foremost, you want to work with someone you can trust. Many people find themselves in situations where their usual lawyer doesn’t suffice, because they specialize in a different area of expertise.
Maybe you’ve never had to find a lawyer before. Maybe you have worked with a lawyer before but not on a personal injury matter.
Reviewing the info below about where to look and what to look for could save you hours in your search.
Starting Your Search for a Personal Injury Lawyer
When it comes to finding a lawyer suited to your needs, there are a couple ways to begin your search. If you don’t know anyone that can give you a personal recommendation, there are a few websites that specialize in providing information on lawyers of all specialty areas.
Tips for finding your perfect lawyer
- Read Online Reviews: Checking out Google reviews and reviews on other websites is the quickest way to get a sense of which accident / injury lawyers in Austin might be a good fit with your case.
- Ask Around: Chances are a friend or coworker has needed to hire a lawyer before. They can probably give you great advice and at least let you know if they’ve had pleasant or unpleasant experiences with certain law firms and lawyers. This will help you weed out the good from the bad.
- Ask a Lawyer: Did you get a divorce from a lawyer that specializes in divorces, and now you need a personal injury lawyer? Lawyers tend to know other lawyers, and could definitely help you find someone that could help you with your specific needs. They probably know of cases similar to yours, and can recommend someone for you.
- Legal Referral Websites: Websites such as Avvo and Justia are great sources for finding the perfect lawyer for you located in your area. They are easy to navigate, and give you access to a lot of helpful information.
- Meet with a Lawyer: Most lawyers offer a free consultation and many sites have people ready to chat live with you about your issue or questions you may have. It helps to talk to a couple people and see who is best suited to handle your case.
Understanding Online Ratings
Although Google reviews are easy to navigate, other online law reviews are written a little differently. You can find McMinn Law Firm on many website listing sites, such as a local advertising network. Here are our ratings on other popular law sites, and a little information on understanding these ratings.
How Lawyer Ratings Work on Avvo
This site shows two ratings for lawyers, client ratings and the Avvo rating.
- Client ratings are a self-explanatory, client based review and are shown through a rating of stars between 0 and 5. Client ratings also show reviews and testimonials, so you can read why these clients gave the ratings that they did.
- Avvo has a formulaic rating system specific to the website. Initially it can seem ambiguous, how did a website form a rating of it’s own? Their analysis is based on public data available about the lawyer in question and how complete the lawyers profile is on Avvo.
The Avvo Rating is our effort to evaluate a lawyer’s background based on the information available in an attorney’s Avvo profile. We create the rating using a model that considers information the lawyer has included on their profile in addition to information we collect from public sources like state bar associations and lawyer websites.
How Did McMinn Law Firm Stack Up on Avvo?
- Justin McMinn: 5 stars and 10 client reviews, and 10/10 avvo rating
- Jason McMinn: 8.8/10 Avvo rating
Justia: A Lawyer Research Website
Justia is a legal resource page for many different areas of law practice. The company provides users with free case law, codes, regulations, legal articles and legal blog databases, as well as additional community resources. It does not offer client generated ratings like Avvo does, but it does grade lawyers with badges specific to Justia’s criteria. Under a lawyer’s profile, Justia assigns badges to help clients find a lawyer best suited for them in their search of a personal injury attorney.
Q&A: How much will my case cost?
Q&A: Do I really need a lawyer? Can't I just represent myself?
Why Choose McMinn Law Firm
McMinn is one of the top personal injury and accident law firms in Austin and Central Texas. Because of the passion McMinn Law Firm has for helping its clients, they treat them like family and give them the best service imaginable. They have represented numerous different types of cases that involve the following:
- Brain Injury
- Dog Bites
- Wrongful Deaths
- Boat Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
McMinn is an award winning law firm that has been given awards from the National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 and SuperLawyers.
Top Underinsured Motorist Verdict 2017
When a client of McMinn Law Firm was hit by an intoxicated driver, she sustained serious injuries. Then, her insurance company refused to honor enough coverage when the at-fault driver didn't carry enough liability coverage to treat her injuries. That's when Jason McMinn and Heather McMinn defended their client in court. Individuals who purchase underinsured motorist coverage rely on that coverage to step in when the worst happens - an accident with someone who doesn't carry enough coverage. The verdict, which is the top underinsured motorist verdict in Texas, speaks volumes about how Travis County citizens feel about insurance providers honoring agreements with their policyholders.
Texas Center for Legal Ethics: Stewardship Commitment
McMinn Law Firm's participation in Texas Center for Legal Ethics means serving as ambassadors for ethics and civility among attorneys. The professional organization places an emphasis on holding lawyers’ words to be honored. As members of Texas Center for Legal Ethics, McMinn Law Firm commits to uphold the values of legal professionalism and ethics.
Rising Star of Texas Award
Super Lawyers awarded Justin McMinn as a Rising Star. Justin has been selected as a Rising star each year beginning in 2013. Super Lawyers recognizes attorneys in an extensive evaluation process. Those who make the selection have been nominated by peers for their excellence in legal work. Some criteria include success in verdicts and settlements, position within law firm, honors and awards, and experience within their field.
Across the Board Client Satisfaction
If those details don’t speak for McMinn, perhaps some of their clients will. 47 clients have written reviews on google for McMinn, adding up to a 4.7/5 star rating. Here are some of the most recent testimonials written by McMinn clients:
First off I have a lot of positive things to say about this firm! They not only recovered 7,000.00 from an injury I had obtained. Justin not only treated me with the utmost respect but also got the hospital to waive all they fees I had received! Overall a great experience (given the situation) and my case was settled in a very timely manner. I expected the outcome to be good but never imagined amazing. I would definitely recommend and will personally be using Justin and his team to handle any case of mine in the future!
“The McMinn Law firm has been handling my case since May 2014. I was hit by a driver who ran a red light and injured my back pretty badly. Today we settled with a notoriously horrible insurance company and Jason McMinn got me the settlement I deserved after all of this headache. Their staff is incredibly thorough and they are committed to their clients. I would recommend them to anyone for personal injury! Best Law firm in Austin!”
The McMinn brothers are caring, relentless, and comprehensive lawyers specializing in personal injury and accident law. The McMinn brothers would be happy to look at your case for no cost, and will be sure to make you feel right at home. Call 512-474-0222, use the live chat on our website, fill out the form on this page, or email email@example.com.
I highly recommend that you contact them if you're injured in a wreck!Read more...
Am thankful for Justin and Jason and their teamRead more...
I am happy with the outcome and highly recommend both Jason and Justin.Read more...
They have been patient and understanding the entire time and fought to get me what I am owed.Read more...
They really made things easier for me.Read more...
Always responsive and went beyond expectations on all communications.Read more...
It felt great knowing that everything would be handled and all I had to do was focus on getting well.Read more...
These guys will work hard for you.Read more...
I ended up with a great settlement- more than I ever expected. These guys are a delight to work with!Read more...
The settlement I received was larger than expected and allowed me to plan for my future needs.Read more...