Survivor of Wrongful Death Mourns Partner on Anniversary of Crash
A civil case filed by McMinn Law Firm continues to put leadership decisions by Hays County officials in the central Texas spotlight. In the latest of a series of news articles, reporters of KSAT News share how a San Marcos Police sergeant wasn’t arrested after killing a woman in a car crash with an open container in the car.
Investigative reporter Dillon Collier spoke with attorney Justin McMinn about the lawsuit filed against Ryan Hartman on behalf of client Pam Watts. Read the article by investigative journalism team, KSAT Defenders in San Antonio, Texas.
“We wish that the police that responded would have performed a proper investigation,” said Justin McMinn, Austin personal injury attorney.
A personal injury client of McMinn Law Firm suffered severe injury damages and the loss of her partner after a horrific crash in Lockhart, TX. Pamela Watts was airlifted by helicopter but her partner Jennifer Miller was pronounced at the scene. But the driver – an off duty San Marcos police officer – only faced a citation for failing to stop at a red light.
The driver, Sgt. Ryan Hartman, was driving 16 mph over the speed limit, with an open container of beer, and talking on the phone.
After the fatal crash, Ryan Hartman refused a Blood Alcohol test when a 24 oz can of beer was found in his overturned vehicle. Because he refused to comply at the scene, his blood was drawn more than three hours after the crash at a hospital.
No field sobriety test was performed at the crash.
Nothing can replace the future Pamela Watts had planned to share with her partner. As a personal injury client of McMinn Law Firm, Justin McMinn represents her legal interests.
“Jennifer Miller lost her life in this crash, there needs to be some degree of accountability for Ryan Hartman…to date he has not been issued any citations and we find that unacceptable,” said Justin McMinn.
Coverage of this Personal Injury Crash Case:
- Crash Survivor Wants Day in Court Published by Post Register
- Partner of woman killed in crash caused by off-duty San Marcos officer confronts police chief June 10, 2021 Published by KXAN. Written by Jaclyn Ramkissoon.
- Loved ones of woman killed in crash caused by SMPD officer hold memorial on anniversary of death June 10, 2021 Published by KXAN News. Written by Jala Washington.
- ‘My world ended that day’: Woman sues after San Marcos cop who ran stop sign in deadly crash stays on force June 10, 2021 Published by Austin American Statesman. Written by Luz Moreno-Lozano
- Loved ones remember woman killed in crash involving off-duty San Marcos police officer June 10, 2021 Published by KCEN News.
- ‘I’m out to get justice’: Woman remembers partner killed in crash caused by San Marcos officer June 3, 2021. Published by KXAN News. By Jala Washington.
- “Woman Seeks Justice for Death of Partner” Written by Stephanie Gates. Published by San Marcos Daily Record. Published on 4/15/2021.
- Hartman Grand Jury Case May Impact DWI Cases In Hays County Written by Stephanie Gates. Published by San Marcos Daily Record. Publishhed on 4/17/2021.
- Woman confronts San Marcos police chief at vigil for partner killed by off-duty cop Published June 10, 2021 Video footage by Jay Janner and Alyssa Vidales.
- “Protesters Seek Justice for Jennifer Miller” Published by San Marcos Daily Record. Written by Nick Castillo.
Recent Personal Injury Case Results
The McMinn Law Firm has helped injured Austinites for fifteen years, winning over 100 million dollars in settlements to date.
Uninsured Motorist Accident
Drunk Driver Accident
Truck Accident Victim
Austin Personal Injury Lawyers Waiting To Help You
We specialise representing clients in the following areas, we are waiting to help you on your personal injury case.
What Past Clients Are Saying
"Jason, Justin, and their entire support team represented me in an accident involving an 18 wheeler. I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome, and maybe as importantly, the service along the way was something you would want as a client, their entire team was amazing! I can with great confidence recommend them to friends, family, and to anyone who happens to read this. Thank you McMinn Law Firm for a job well done!"
"The McMinns were amazing. Within two days of my accident – and still barely able to move – I received a visit to my house for personal consultation (on a Saturday). All the initial feedback about my potential case turned out to be 100% accurate, and when it finally came time to settle they didn’t back off an inch. …If you’re hurt, make the call."
"I was rear ended by a large truck. Am thankful for Justin and Jason and their team and all the hard work they put into resolving my case! I highly recommend that you contact them if you’re injured in a wreck!"
- Lori M.
In Need Of Compensation?
Let us – at no cost to you – evaluate your situation so you can be sure. We don’t get paid unless you do. Call or reach out today to speak to an attorney with no obligations.