Austin Felony Lawyer
A felony charge in Texas carries serious potential penalties. Even if you are convicted of a felony in the lowest degree, you may face a minimum of 180 days in jail.
Charged with a felony or a misdemeanor? Call (866) 417-3800 or (512) 337-1993 to learn how a criminal defense lawyer at McMinn Law Firm LLP can help.
Felonies are classified by degree:
- State Jail Felony
- 3rd Degree Felony
- 2nd Degree Felony
- 1st Degree Felony
- Capital Felony
Penalties range depending on the seriousness of the felony:
- State Jail felony has a punishment range of 180 days – 2 years in state jail with a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- 3rd Degree felony has a punishment range of 2-10 years in prison with a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- 2nd Degree felony carries 2-20 years in prison with a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- 1st Degree felony carries either life in prison or 5-99 years in prison, with a fine not to exceed $10,000.
- Capital felony, such as murder, is punishable by life in prison or the death penalty.
A felony conviction remains on your record for the rest of your life. This is the same record that employers check and that is becoming increasingly available to people looking you up on the Internet. This is the kind of conviction that can ruin a potentially bright future.
Justin McMinn and Jason McMinn fight for justice on behalf of each client. Your case is important to us. As attorneys, we take that responsibility seriously by focusing all efforts on defending you. If the slightest weakness in the prosecution’s case, you may be assured that we will find it.
We Offer Free Initial Consultations
Even if you believe that you may be guilty of a crime, there are ways a lawyer can work to minimize any penalties. For instance, if a client was caught with cocaine (a state jail felony), our attorneys can look into the extenuating circumstances of a situation and explain them to the judge. Does the client need treatment, not jail? Can the sentence be probated for two years, and during that time can the client get the drug treatment to overcome drug addiction? Is the client guilty but has never been arrested before?
Free consultations • Credit cards accepted • Contact us 24/7 at (512) 337-1993 or use our contact form.